Sunday, January 27, 2013

Keep Running!

Running. Not too long ago I went running for the first time in years. Prior to this day I'd gone on jalks (jog+walk) in the neighbor, but it was nothing too strenuous and I mostly walked. But on this day I jogged almost the entire run. My body was burning, I felt like I was never going to make it to the end, and I simply wanted to quit. I was in tears. My running partner motivated me to push through. She fussed at me, encouraged me, slowed the pace when needed, and recited scripture to me. She did whatever it took to get me to the finish line. She would not let me give up, not even when I was crying and begging to stop.

This reminds me of the Holy Spirit. We're running
towards the perfection and love of Christ. Our bodies are weak and the run is hard, especially when we first start out. There are times when we think we are running at a good pace, only to experience burn out or come upon a hill. Thankfully the Holy Spirit is our running partner. He convicts us when we need conviction, encourages us when we need uplifting, and brings forth scripture to motivate. The Holy Spirit empowers us to push through our pain and our tears. Even when we want to stop, turnaround, and go back to where we started from, the Holy Spirit refuses to let us quit.

One thing my running partner said that has stuck with me is, "The flesh is weak. It doesn't want to do anything but please itself. It will please itself until you hurt yourself." This is so true! We have to deny the flesh daily, hourly, every second, every minute. We are not strong enough in and of ourselves. This is why we have the Holy Spirit. He is strong enough. He is our spiritual trainer strengthening us to the next level of spiritual growth.

So keep running!

1 Corithians 9:24-27
Galatians 5:16-17
Philippians 4:13
Isaiah 40:29
Ephesians 3:16
1 Timothy 1:12
Romans 8:9
Romans8:12-13

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you explained the Holy Spirit. I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, thoughts, and words are appreciated.