Sunday, April 6, 2014

Heart, Hope, and Humanity in a Homeless Place

During a recent Harvesting Hope volunteer opportunity with Tarrant County Hands of Hope, a group of volunteers had an extended conversation with a man named Chicago.  Through the course of the conversation about food, discipline, family, and God, Chicago shared his personal testimony with the group.



1. My momma raised me with respect. I live on the streets but I still know respect. Kids today don't have respect for adults.

2. I didn't know God until I started going to (points to a guy) his dad's church.  I know I'm okay now. I know I'm homeless, but God is with me everyday, no matter where I am.  Even when I'm doing something I ain't got no business doing, He is still with me.

3. I'm not bragging, but I've done some stuff.  I was in prison when I was 18.  I've done drugs.  I'm an alcoholic (and that's bad).  I lost my mother when I was 16.  I grew up in the largest projects in America.  I did things the hard way.  I don't want anyone else to do it like that.

4. Just because somebody is younger or doesn't look like they don't know anything doesn't mean they can't teach you something.  I don't have education but I have street smarts.  I can teach you not to do the things I did.  It ain't gotta be like this.


Hebrew 13:1-3 states:
Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself. Remember also those being mistreated, as if you felt their pain in your own bodies.

The common courtesy that we show others goes a long way.  Even though it was cold that day in the
park, we enjoyed listening to Chicago and the knowledge he had to give.  We saw him and not just his circumstance.  We conversed over warm food on a cold day.  We acknowledged the Christ in him just by listening, laughing, and showing love.  This is the mission of God's people.  Chicago may have been an unknown angel.  He may have been just a man.  In either case, he is like all of us, an undeserving being who has received God's love and wants to tell others about.

"I came here to help you today; but what you've said has really helped me.  Thank you."
-Sherry (a volunteer) to Chicago


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, thoughts, and words are appreciated.